Saturday, 29 January 2011

DroidDOS - WIP01 coming soon

Uffff, last week was a crazy chase for some kind of stability. First I had to switch to 32bits/pixel (RGBA) from 16bits/pixel, as it seems AVD had some issues (and crashes) on blitting to 16bits. Then i had to switchback (hope that just temporarily) FULL_TLB_SIZE (eats more memory, meh....) to achieve some level of stability for some games (i.e. Ishar 3). But now I got it more or less running. Tested some games & other stuff (that seems to run):
  • Ishar3,
  • Settlers (although some problems with mouse in moving window mode),
  • Battle Isle
  • Might and Magic 6 (Swords of Xeen)
  • Mario
  • Jack the Ripper
  • Windows 3.1 (Chinese version)
  • Executor (Mac emulator) and VMac
  • DosUAE
  • Warlords 2

I still cannot make old DOS demo - Contrast by Oxygene to run on the device. But this might be due to more memory consumption. (I have LG GT540/Swift, 600Mhz + 256MB, with approx 60MB left).

So I'm afraid no .apk release by the end of this month. I hope to get mouse and paged/oversize mode running well by the end of next week, keyboard hold/autorepeat (as now you need to press button X times, i.e. the DPAD arrows) . Also implement configuring Dosbox itself with some nice UI, and restarts of emulation from the DroidDOS itself (without restart of the whole app). Once I got it up and running, WIP01 will be released to public :).

Expect some ddms screenshots in the next few days.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to drop a note of encouragement for this project. I'm one of those people who really wants to emulate a DOS environment for games like Master of Orion, but can't use current versions of aDOSBox due to screen resolution limitations (LG Vortex - 320x480).

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo

My adventure with computers started with 3D graphics design. I did that mostly as part of so called 'demoscene' activities, attending computer parties, submitting my works to various contests, etc.
Then I switched my gears to computer programming and completed MSc in compsci, doing the design works in parallel, and working in the marketing dept for one of the biggest B2B software houses in Poland at that time - ComArch SA.
When I graduated - i moved to Motorola Solutions Inc (then simply Motorola Inc) - where i work as System Architect on mission critical public safety radio communication infrastructure.
I still play however with various other things, prototyping stuff, playing with porting emulators to Android, experimenting, learning all the time. See some links below...